24.4.07

How am I going to make it right?

Like a lot of people, I really love Bjork's music. One of my favorite gigs ever was seeing her when she was touring for "Homogenic". She played here in San Francisco at the Warfield Theater, which is a great venue for her. Coincidentally, I'll be seeing her at Coachella this weekend. Anyways, when "Medulla" came out, I have to admit I wasn't impressed with it at the time. There was a sorta hype about it that annoyed me; "Oh! Bjork is doing an acappella album, she's so daring!" Shit like that. I guess the thing was, and I know I've mentioned it on here before, that it's not the first time a pop artist has done an album like that. Todd Rundgren released "A Cappella" in 1985. Petra Haden has made at least two albums, 1999's "Imaginaryland" and 2005's excellent "Petra Haden Sings: The Who Sell Out", in that fashion. I'd be willing to bet that those aren't the only ones, either. I dunno, it just seemed that all the interviews and articles were gushing over Bjork being a visionary and a trailblazer and it really put me off. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm no Bjork hater, I just feel that others should get credit as well. I mean, look at the Rundgren album, that came out 20 years before Bjork's.

This is the part where I start to get to the point. The point being, I initially dismissed Bjork's "Medulla". I would put it on here and there, but it didn't really grab me. So today, I queued up a few Bjork albums, as I was particularly busy at work. I just wanted to listen to something and not have to think about looking for a new album once the current one finished. I had "Homogenic" on, and "Medulla" came on after that. Today, for some reason, it really blindsided me. It made for a sorta surreal, almost magical, working experience. "Desired Constellation" came on and it was so fucking good I had to repeat it four or five times. So yeah, I'm gonna be paying more attention to this album, in addition to her new album which comes next month.

Bjork > Desired Constellation

No comments: