28.5.09

To the night, will you follow me?

Listening to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' Little Shadow today, I was feeling like this song is sort of in the same vein as Tanya Donelly's Keeping You (which I posted the other day). I think the "little shadow" refers to a child, her child? Does Karen O. have a kid? Maybe, I dunno, but that's what it makes me think of, a mother asking her child to follow her to the end. I really like the line, closer/shadow/for all your strides/still you're caught between/all this sorrow, like she's trying to shield the child from the sadness in the world. It comes off as very sweet and tender.

I think I must have listened to this song about 15 times today. It's on their newest album, It's Blitz!, which dropped a couple months ago. For a few dollars more, there's also a limited version of the album with four extra acoustic tracks tacked on at the end, one of which is a cuckoo clock with strings version of this song. I kinda like it, but it's too peppy and doesn't breathe melancholy the way that this version does.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs > Little Shadow

No comments: