12.4.08

Smiles have all turned to tears

Recently, I've been infatuated with the Afghan Whigs. I started out backwards, first getting into the Twilight Singers last year, and now diving into the Whigs' back catalog. I remember first hearing of them when Gentlemen came out in the early 90s, but I wasn't impressed at the time. There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said about them and Greg Dulli's tortured/anguished style of singing. One thing I really like is that all of the songs seem to be about drugs, alcohol, and women (not necessarily in that order). I mean, really...what more could you want?

Their covers are pretty inspired, too. I'm posting their version of The Supremes' classic Come See About Me (which is available on the Uptown Avondale EP), which I really like. They slow the song down some, Dulli sounds like an addict begging for another hit, singing won't you hurry/come on/and see about me/see about your baby. I dunno, this time around, I'm really feelin and lovin it all. As I wrote elsewhere on the world wide web, I wish I had gotten into them while they were still going. I've been checking out some of the live vids on youtube, and it woulda been great to see them in their prime. Ah well, so it goes...

The Afghan Whigs > Come See About Me

No comments: