26.12.06

Happy New Year, bitches...

So that's it, Christmas is over, James Brown is dead, and I'm done with the Christmas tunes. There were more tracks I wanted to post, but just didn't get around to, so I'll save them for next year perhaps. I was gonna do a "top gigs" list for 2006, but I really can't be bothered right now. I know I've broken your heart, but you'll get over it real fast, trust me. I'm gonna take a lil break from this, but I'll be haunting the usual spots if anyone wants to message me.

I've been feelin some old school tunes lately, so I'm gonna close out 2006 with this Brenda Holloway vid, "Just Look What You've Done", from 1967. I've never actually known her by name, just a few songs on random comps. I was listening to one track and was inspired to look her up. From what I've read, she apparently was an exception to the rule, as she was a female artist who wrote AND performed her own songs back when most female artists didn't do shit like that. In any case, she's utterly gorgeous and a fabulous singer, she totally shoulda been a big star.

Have a safe one, cya in 2K7...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love her hair and her whole look! Hell yes. So she wasn't a big star of the era? Aw. :o(

robot hero said...

actually, i was gonna say she reminds me of you. i think it's that overcoat, it just looks like something you'd wear.

apparently, she was one of the few motown artists who lived in LA back then. she didn't like the songs that they were giving her to sing and she also didn't want to get caught up in the trappings of the pop star lifestyle, as she had strong religious beliefs. so she retired after something like two albums.

Stef said...

Happy new year top man!