2.5.09

Wish I could shimmy like my sister can

Hmm, it's been a while, but now the Sharks stumbled out of the postseason, so I suddenly have some time on my hands.

This post is gonna be kinda lame, because I'm pretty much regurgitating someone else's post. But the main point, I think, is the music. Basically, I ran into this post over at the wonderful Soul Sides, so please be sure to check that out. I think I've always known Laura Nyro's name, but I've never checked out her music for whatever reasons. So when I saw her name pop up in my trusty RSS reader, I was a bit perplexed as to the appearance on Soul Sides. I always thought Nyro was one of those singer/songwriters in the mold of Joni Mitchell, Rickie Lee Jones, or Carole King. From what I've read, I suppose I was sorta right to cast her in that mold, but that's not the point. The reason she showed up on Soul Sides is because she recorded a really cool album of Motown covers and R&B songs, called Gonna Take A Miracle.
Labelle show up on vocals, and the whole thing was produced by Gamble & Huff, who pretty much invented Philly soul.

So, I listened to the Jimmy Mack cover, because I like the original Martha & The Vandellas track.
Let me tell you, my jaw hit the floor. The cover is great, maybe even as good as the original. It's joyful, loose, infectious and hand-clappy fun. I can't get enough of it. Also, I'm gonna toss in this cover of Major Lance's Monkey Time, just because it fucking kicks ass. The song segues into Martha & The Vandellas' Dancing In The Street and, once again, it's incredibly fun. I love near the end when there's a pause and she belts out "Wish I could shimmy like my sister can, I just dance! dance! dance!"

Hell yeah.

Laura Nyro and Labelle> Jimmy Mack


Laura Nyro and Labelle> Monkey Time/Dancing In The Street

No comments: