7.3.09

How do you begin again?

Last week, the new PUFFY single finally arrived in my mailbox. I have to say, I'm not entirely taken with it. It's fine, but it doesn't jump out at me and make me want to listen to it over and over like some of their other tracks and records. That said, one of the b-sides, My Story (variation by agraph), caught my interest. I like the music on this track, but the vocals kinda clash with it. Maybe if they could have redone the vocals with something more low-key, sinister and sexy. I do like this idea, even if it's only a remix at this point.

I've been thinking lately that there are some artists who could use a change of pace, PUFFY being one of them. Don't get me wrong, I love the power pop stuff. I think, for example, that the association with Butch Walker isn't a great one. Last summer's Avril Lavigne-penned/Butch Walker-produced All Because of You single was a travesty. It's just time to move on from that sound. Either that or somehow talk Andy Sturmer into coming back.

I think, though, if they could reinvent themselves in a sort of an electronica mode, not necessarily subdued but not dance-y, maybe something whispery, it would be interesting even if it were not a success. You've already got the cash, you've already got fans; why not try?

PUFFY > My Store (variation by agraph)

No comments: