19.10.08

America is a third world country

I've been going back and forth between posting this. I guess I will, since it keeps popping up in my head. In any case, current events in the news totally brings this track to mind. The words of the man being interviewed pretty much speak for themselves. I wonder if the music was composed before or after hearing the interview. The music is sad, angry and haunting. If you have the patience to sit through all 17:45 of this, check out the strings at the very end of the track. Very moving. If you don't have the patience, well, I understand. It's not for everyone.

You can find this on GYBE's 1999 EP, Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada (pictured here).
Listen to samples from their albums here, and read more about them here. The band has been on hiatus since their 2002 release, Yanqui U.X.O. I think there was a brief tour after the album dropped and then in 2003, they officially announced their current status. That was a bummer for me, as I had first heard their music around 2003. A guy I know told me he'd seen them in the summer of 02, and said it was the gloomiest gig he'd ever attended.













Godspeed You! Black Emperor > -- (Track 2, aka bbf3)

No comments: