3.3.07

You don't know how lovely you are

I'm no fan of Coldplay, but I don't hate them either. A long time ago, I probably would have, but I can't really be bothered to hate any band these days. It's just not worth the time and effort. I mean, if they make someone happy and they're able to carve out a living for themselves, then more power to them. If I don't like em, I just won't listen or buy their albums; so there's nothing to complain about and we can all happily coexist. Easy lemon squeezy.

That said, I adore Aimee Mann's cover of Coldplay's, "The Scientist". I'd have to say it's an improvement on the original. Her voice is just so clear and expressive, she really wraps her voice around the lyrics. I feel like the song fits her better, but that's just me. Also know that she's one of my faves, so I could be slightly biased. I've been listening to Ms. Mann since I heard the first Til Tuesday album way back when. Old school. Anyways, if you feel like tracking it down, this cut can be found on the 2-Disc Special Edition of her album, "Lost In Space". The first disc is the LIS album, which is really great. It actually took me a long time to "get" LIS, but it was completely worth it. The second disc of the special edition is a solid collection of bsides and live tracks. It's packaged like a little book, with artwork and notes; a really nice touch to make it worth the extra few dollars. So yeah, check it out...


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it kind of proves the point that whatever people think of Chris Martin's singing and the band's rather pedestrian arrangement, they have actually created or two really quite sublime songs. Have you heard Petra Haden's version of "Yellow"? That's an improvement, too.

robot hero said...

Yeah, that Petra Haden album is great. Her voice is so pretty.

Anonymous said...

That was surely no better than the Coldplay original? She could do a duet with Chris Martin. Their vocal and musical styles would fit together just fine.

robot hero said...

Oh no you di'in't! ^_^

Stef said...

I'm not a fan of Coldplay at all but, as Wood pointed out, this is a superb song. I'm not sure I like this version more or less than Coldplay's but it's good to hear.

I really hated Yellow though, that song got on my nerves.