29.1.07

By the unwinking red eye of Ra!

The other day, I watched Bubba Ho-Tep with some friends. The movie being a favorite of mine, I was slightly surprised that they would want to watch it, as I seem to have a reputation for liking films (and music) that they're not into. On the surface, it looks like some stupid horror flick played up for laughs. I know I thought the same the first time I read the synopsis. Underneath, it's really quite thoughtful, touching, and even a little bit sad. I really liked the story about how Elvis ended up in an old folks home, wasting his life away. The character who thinks he's JFK is really great, as is the Mummy that stirs them into action. It's not a film that will blow you away, but it's very entertaining and, I think, underrated.

(If you haven't seen it, you can buy it practically anywhere. Alternatively, you can put it in your Netflix queue or see if it's showing on your favorite movie channel.)


To me, this track from the scene depicted above, captures the essence of The King, as well as the film.

Listen:
The King (from the Bubba Ho-Tep OST)

No comments: