24.1.07

Hey yo, kids! Remember when I used to be dope?

One of my favorite hip hop tracks comes from the soundtrack of the godawful movie, Judgment Night. The cool thing about the album was the marriage of popular hip hop and alt-rock bands of the time. When the album was released, 1993, I thought this would be the way forward for hip hop. I'm only a casual fan of the genre, but it seemed to me that this was the only way to go. In any case, it was an interesting avenue worth exploring, even if, in hindsight, it didn't pan out that well.

This track, "Fallin", is by De La Soul and Teenage Fanclub. I really dig the lazy beat and the amusing, and sometimes biting, lyrics. They name check Teenage Fanclub towards the end, and there's also a healthy dose of Tom Petty's "Free Fallin", sampled for the song's chorus. It still sounds good some 13 or 14 years later.

Check it:
De La Soul & Teenage Fanclub > Fallin'

2 comments:

Stef said...

Nice...

I'm liking the z-share thing as well, much better for this purpose than the old YouSendIt thing. I wonder if there's a way to embed the player into your web-page...

Anonymous said...

Why didn't this save my comment? I left it like a week ago. :o( Anyway, I was dissing the track anyway, so you probably wouldn't have wanted to hear it. ;p It's just cos I couldn't figure out what Teenage Fanclub were actually doing in this song!