18.11.06

Zidane

I don't know much about the guy, I'm not much of a footy fan. I do know that there's a new documentary on him, "Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait", which follows him around during a Spanish league game on April 23, 2005, in which Real Madrid beat Villareal, 2-1. The music for the movie is done by Mogwai. I haven't seen the film, so I can't comment on it, except to say that I'd like to see it.

I've heard the Mogwai album and I have to say I really like it. It's not the usual quiet-loud-quiet-loud dynamic that goes on. It's more like quiet-quiet-and more quiet, quite the opposite of what one would expect to hear in a sports film. Sort of in the way that Explosions in the Sky lent some of their quieter tunes for "Friday Night Lights". The melodies haven't really stuck with me, like how a film score doesn't always linger and instead sets a mood, but they're very pretty and the album is lovely to hear.

Listen:
Mogwai > 7:25

No comments: