18.10.06

Show a little faith, there's magic in the night

I've lately been obsessed with Mary Lou Lord's cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Thunder Road". The original is on The Boss' "Born To Run" album, and this version is on her "Live City Sounds" album, which was recorded live, just her and a guitar, in the subway of Boston.

The album as a whole is solid. She does some very choice covers like The Magnetic Fields' "I Don't Want To Get Over You", Big Star's "Thirteen", Bob Dylan's "Your Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go", and Daniel Johnston's "Speeding Motorcycle". She also throws in a few originals which are fine songs, but the covers are what stand out for me.
Even if I didn't like her versions, I'd at least respect them as she lets the songs speak for themselves. They're pure and simple, not overproduced crap with overwrought vocal histrionics like that godfuckingawful Train cover song I wrote about a little while back. Anyways, check out her album, I think it's worth the ten bucks.

Listen:
Mary Lou Lord > Thunder Road

1 comment:

Stef said...

Hmm... Her voice is pretty nice. Well, on this record at least, I hear it's pretty screwed now in real life but here it's nice.

Not really doing it for me though.