18.6.06

Neutralize every man in sight

My cousin, CC (sweet little thing that she is), hooked me up with the Massive Attack singles box set. I haven't gone through it all, but it seems pretty cool. I have to admit to being disappointed by the "Angel" remixes, as that's my favorite track. The remixes simply don't have that feeling of dread and impending doom that the original has. I'm posting a few of the other mixes that I've checked out. I'm guessing the "Eno" mix refers to Brian Eno, but I'm not entirely sure. I'll probably need to do a little research on that.

As mentioned in a previous post, CC and I saw Massive Attack at this year's Coachella festival. Sad to say, they were pretty dull, although I'm sure their live show could be really cool. A comparable band I've seen is Portishead, and I thought Beth Gibbons held the stage pretty well. Perhaps that's the difference, though. Massive Attack have a few different vocalists and guest collaborators, while Gibbons was the primary vocalist for Portishead. Anyways, that doesn't change the fact that the Massive Attack albums ("Blue Lines", "Protection", "Mezzanine", and "100th Window") are good and worth seeking out. There are a couple soundtracks they've done ("Danny The Dog", and "Bullet Boy") as well as a "greatest hits" type compilation ("Collected"). They also have one of the best band names around, I think.

Angel (Original Version)
Protection (The Eno Mix)
Unfinished Sympathy (Perfecto Mix)
Karmacoma (Portishead Experience)

4 comments:

Stef said...

I love Massive Attack (and Portishead even more so) but I don't really have much choice living in Bristol! Local celebs and all that.

MA really are more of a studio band though aren't they?

Nice little present from your cousin, love the pic of the Blue Lines cover too.

robot hero said...

Yeah, they should probably stick to the studio.

Hey, Portishead are working on a new album. Well, that's what it says on Beth Gibbons' site. Portishead's live show was amazing, Beth Gibbons' voice haunts me. Andy Smith opened up with his own DJ set and he was absolutely badass.

Stef said...

Have you got Beth Gibbons solo album, Out of Season? I listen to that even more than Dummy these days.

robot hero said...

Yeah, that's a great album.