30.4.11

The silence inside the tomb

I came across Agalloch last year with their 2010 album, Marrow of the Spirit. I had decided that I wanted to get back to listening to more metal. I'd been reading a lot of year end lists, as I tend to do, and Agalloch's album was atop many of those lists, so I decided to check it out. I really like the album as a whole, it's solid from start to finish. The album's centerpiece, and my favorite track, is Black Lake Nidstång.

A quick aside, perhaps it's just me, but I really, really, really detest the way people throw the word "epic" around these days. That said, I can't come up with a better word to describe this song. It's like a long journey, an odyssey, a fucking epic, as suggested by the album cover above. The song is 17 and a half minutes long and I love every second of it. I dunno, it's that powerful to me. The vocals in the second verse give me chills every time I hear it. Try it, maybe you'll like it. Have a little patience, though, it's nearly 20 minutes long. I feel like it's worth it. And if you like that, the album is worth obtaining.

Agalloch - Black Lake Nidstång

No comments: