20.2.08

Used to be nobody could sneak up on Jesse James

Nick Cave just doesn't stop. In the past year or so, he has done the Grinderman album, the soundtrack for The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford, and his new album with the Bad Seeds, Dig! Lazarus! Dig! is coming next month. He even showed up at the end of the Jesse James film, singing a disparaging song about Robert Ford. How cool is that?

I've been listening to the soundtrack for a couple months now, and I've just seen the film. The music he and Warren Ellis came up with completely fits the somber and sorta hypnotic feel of the movie. It helped set the tone, but didn't overpower any of the scenes. Warren Ellis' violin has more emotion than the voice of any run of the mill top 40 singer. Simply gorgeous.

*EDIT* The good folks over at divshare have seen fit to delete this file from my account. What I didn't realize is that this album is released on MUTE which is distributed by EMI. Kinda weird given a few of my previous posts. So I guess it's my own fault for not doing my research thoroughly. Dunno what else to say. I mean, the album is really good, but I guess you should buy it used if you are gonna buy it at all. And use the RIAA Radar, too...

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis > Rather Lovely Thing (from The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford)

No comments: