20.1.08

Tell me we were fools to fall

Advertising is weird. There's a Taco Bell commercial that is currently in heavy rotation and it features Joe Jackson's One More Time. I guess they brought back a specialty item for a second go round, or...one more time. That song, though, is really bitter and angry. If you listen to the snippet that's on the commercial, he's singing "one more time/say you're leaving/say goodbye". That's it, his girl is leaving him and he still can't believe it. I mean, check out the song's opening lines;

Tell me one more time as I hold your hand, that you don't love me
Tell me one more time as teardrops start to fall

Shout it to me and I'll shout it to the skies above me

That there was nothing after all


I guess it doesn't matter, though, because the only thing that anybody will really hear is the "
one more time" part, and that's what the ad execs want. In any case, you can check this track on Joe Jackson's most excellent 1979 debut album, Look Sharp!, which is well worth the ten bucks on the price tag. Also check out the Joe Jackson Archive for an detailed look at the man and his music.

Joe Jackson > One More Time

No comments: