20.9.06

'No' said the stars to the moon in the sky

Tonight, I watched The Proposition and it has to be one of the best movies I've seen this year. If you don't know, the screenplay was written by Nick Cave, which was what really interested me in the movie. It's a western set in Australia and it really worked me over. I kinda sat there completely immersed, filled with dread and sadness as the film went on. Beautifully written, shot and acted, I felt overwhelmed by the time the end rolled around. It's just one of those films that really affects. And then comes this song as the credits roll, it's just so pretty and melancholy, it's a sweet little cherry on top of the cake. The soundtrack was written/performed by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis. Ellis is the violinist for The Bad Seeds and also for the Dirty Three. Anyway, the track is called "The Rider Song." Both the film and the soundtrack are very much worth the time.

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis > The Rider Song

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Argh! I was supposed to see that about 2 weeks before my UK trip, and it got all buggered up. We waited for the bus to head east to the theatre for over 1/2 hour and it just didn't come. We totally would have missed the movie by then so we just walked home. Stupid residential ghetto neighborhood. :o(

robot hero said...

Well, it's on DVD now for your Netflix-ing pleasure. Now you don't have to wait for the bus. I think it's gorgeous, I kinda wanna watch it again tonight.

Anonymous said...

hmmm... sounds like kev would enjoy. why don't you bring it over this weekend and we'll have pizza?

Anonymous said...

oooh. the best part about listening to that song on my itunes is that "love letter" turns up next!

robot hero said...

I'm surprised Kevin doesn't have it already. Seems like the sorta thing he'd be all over.

Stef said...

The Proposition is a top movie, I saw it quite a long time ago but I love Nick Cave and think Guy Pearce is a fantastic actor.

I wasn't disappointed and totally say that anyone who isn't squeamish should go and see it.

robot hero said...

It was just released on disc the other day. I'd been wanting to see it, but never made it to the theater when it was out, so last night after work I made a quick trip to the shop to pick up a copy.