13.4.12

I gotta get back to you

When I was a kid, the Electric Light Orchestra were pretty huge. Actually, using my meager allowance, Ole ELO (a greatest hits compilation) was among my first ever vinyl purchases way back when. My dad wasn't much of a pop music fan, he was more into classical music. He once stopped by my room while I was listening to A New World Record, the strings had caught his ear and the juxtaposition of traditionally classical music instruments in a rock n' roll setting had intrigued him. He actually asked me about the band and I answered with whatever a 10 year old would answer. He even bought Out of the Blue when it came out in 77 and we would listen to it together. I think the strings gave them credibility in his mind.

The other day, I came across this live clip of ELO doing Sweet Talkin' Woman (which is on Out of the Blue) and it totally reminded me of all that. I can also put ELO in the Bands I Wish I'd Seen Live file, so I'm glad stuff like this exists.

ELO - Sweet Talkin' Woman

No comments: