24.12.08

Don't get drunk this Christmas...

Merry Christmas, peeps. I had one of my get-togethers tonight. Joyous by-product of divorced parents, I guess. My brothers and I went to our dad's place and got him drunk on two beers. It was quite amusing, the ridiculous crap he was talking. Thankfully, he's an amiable drunk, more content to just chatter away whatever comes to mind.

Which leads me to this song, John Denver singing Please Daddy (Don't Get Drunk This Christmas). WTF man? Was this supposed to be taken seriously? In the song, the father comes home drunk, falls down in the living room, then stumbles up the staircase to go sleep it off. All of which prompts a teary outburst by the mother. She should be happy that he comes home at all. And it's not like he hit her or the kid. He probably had to work a double shift on Xmas eve to support the family. I'd say the guy has earned the right to get his drunk on. Am I right or am I right?

Anyways, happy holidays and all that good stuff. Have fun and don't take it too seriously. Like this song.

John Denver > Please Daddy (Don't Get Drunk This Christmas)

No comments: