29.2.20

Taking the Long Way

Dixie Chicks - Taking the Long Way (2006)
I was never into them when they were big. I remember the George W. Bush comment/fallout back in 2003, but I wasn't into country music back then, so it kinda passed me by. A couple years ago, by chance, I heard Not Ready to Make Nice and I thought it was really fucking good. Angry as fuck. I liked it. And then I kinda forgot about it. And then a few weeks ago, I happened upon some article that kinda recapped the Dixie Chicks career up til now. They'd gone through a ton of shit. As much as any women have in the music industry. Some peeps at their label were uncomfortable with the word Dixie. Other peeps didn't like "chicks." Some thought they were too country. Others thought they weren't country enough. Apparently there was a sound guy who refused to plug in their instruments because he thought they were just props. Just...absolutely appalling.

The article mentioned that Dixie Chicks have a new album planned for sometime this year, so I decided I'd check out their most recent one, Taking the Long Way, and go from there. All I can say is I fucking love this album. Not Ready to Make Nice, Voice Inside My Head and So Hard (this live vid is really great) are among my faves at this point.

I'm also at a different point in life where I actively seek out and listen to country music. I mostly love the ladies of country music, but whatever. I'm looking forward to the new album and exploring the rest of the Dixie Chicks catalogue.

Check out Taking the Long Way, if you're interested.

No comments: