24.1.20

I Never Travel Far Without a Little Big Star


One of my all-time favourite lines in music is "I never travel far without a little Big Star" from The Replacements' Alex Chilton. For the unintiated, Chilton was a real person. He passed away ten years ago (17 MAR 2010) and he was the singer for The Box Tops and Big Star (and has his own solo career as well). Big Star are often cited as influences among (many bands but mainly) power pop bands and I think that Big Star were just one of those bands that were ahead of their time; underappreciated in their time and gaining cult status after their initial demise. Bands like The Replacements (of course), R.E.M., Teenage Fanclub, Jellyfish, The Bangles, even KISS, all have cited Big Star as a major influence. Do yourself a favour and start with #1 Record, if you haven't before.

 In any case, the song just came up the other day on my commute home and it got me to thinking about lyrics that reference other bands/artists. I know there are tons, so I'm gonna meditate on it and try to post about some of my faves in the future. In the meantime, you can check out (The Replacements song) Alex Chilton (from their album, Pleased to Meet Mehere.

No comments: